The Goal: Promote Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women
What Do We Want To Achieve?
- To eliminate gender inequality in education at all levels
What Have We Already Achieved?
- We have achieved parity in access to primary education for boys and girls
- In 2012, women occupied 19.7% of the seats in single or lower houses of national parliaments
- 117 countries have passed laws regarding wage equality
What Challenges Remain?
- Only 9 of the 151 heads of state and 11 of the 192 heads of government are women
- Women represent two-thirds of the illiterate population in the world
- More than half of the women who work have unstable or vulnerable work conditions
- October 6, 2012Kulanayake K. Laith Holds A Position of Responsibility in Government - Sri Lanka, together with UNDP, has undertaken a leadership training program for women. 23 of the 30 participants have managed to hold office in local government. And while 80.8% of countries and include policies on … Continue reading
- September 22, 2011Success Stories From Asia and the Pacific - With 5 years remaining until 2015, we are at the critical junction for achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Marking the 10th anniversary of the Millennium Declaration, heads of states will once again gather … Continue reading