The Goal: Reduce Infant Mortality
What Do We Want to Achieve?
- Reduce by two-thirds, the under-five mortality rate
What Have We Already Achieved?
- Five in nine developing regions have reduced the under-five mortality rate by 50%
- In 20 years, the number of deaths in children under the age of 5, has decreased from 12.4 million to 7.6 million per year
- The number of deaths from measles worldwide has decreased by 74%
What Challenges Remain?
- Confronting preventable diseases like pneumonia, diarrhea and malaria is key to reducing infant mortality
- Providing education to mothers is also fundamental in decreasing infant deaths
- October 6, 2012We Have Improved Nutrition Education in the Philippines - The Philippines, together with the National Nutrition Council and the MDG Fund, has launched a program to improve breastfeeding and nutrition of children under two years. Improved nutrition education has been one of the key … Continue reading
- October 6, 2012You Are Also Responsible for the Largest Vaccination Campaign in History - The Bangladesh government, with international assistance, has carried out the largest vaccination campaign against measles in the world which immunized 33.5 million children between 9 and 10 years in only 20 days. Thanks to such … Continue reading
- October 6, 2012Thousands of Women Have Been Vaccinated Against Tetanus – Neo-Natal is Also up to You - Cameroon, with support from UNICEF and the international community, has launched a vaccination campaign for women between 15 and 49 years, in 102 districts of the country. By this measure, in 2009 there were no … Continue reading
- August 1, 2012Audio Gallery of MDG Success Stories From UNMC Spanish Campaign - The UN Millennium Campaign teams up with RNE – the Spanish National Radio Station- to talk the progress made towards the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. Listen to the following five broadcasts aired at … Continue reading
- September 22, 2011Success Stories From Asia and the Pacific - With 5 years remaining until 2015, we are at the critical junction for achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Marking the 10th anniversary of the Millennium Declaration, heads of states will once again gather … Continue reading