The Goal: Ensure Environmental Sustainability
What Do We Want To Achieve?
- Incorporate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and reverse the loss of environmental resources
- Decrease biodiversity loss
- Reduce the number of people without access to safe drinking water and sanitation by half
- Improve the lives of at least 100 million people who live in slums by 2020
What Have We Already Achieved?
- In 2010, 89% of the world’s population, about 6.1 billion people, had access to safe drinking water. In 2015, that number will increase to include 92% of the world’s population
- We have improved the lives of more than 200 million people living in slums
- 1,800 people have gained access to basic sanitation
What Challenges Remain?
- 2.6 billion people remain without access to healthcare
- 17,000 species of plants and animals are endangered
- The atmospheric levels of substances that destroy the ozone layer could increase 10-fold by 2015
- October 6, 2012Turab Family Yano Have to Walk 4 Hours to Get Drinking Water - Sudan, with UNDP support, has built a dam in Kordofan state that benefits more than 10.000 people in the region. Initiatives like this have assured that today, 89% of the population worldwide (6.1 billion people) … Continue reading
- August 1, 2012Audio Gallery of MDG Success Stories From UNMC Spanish Campaign - The UN Millennium Campaign teams up with RNE – the Spanish National Radio Station- to talk the progress made towards the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. Listen to the following five broadcasts aired at … Continue reading
- September 22, 2011Success Stories From Asia and the Pacific - With 5 years remaining until 2015, we are at the critical junction for achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Marking the 10th anniversary of the Millennium Declaration, heads of states will once again gather … Continue reading