The Goal: Global Partnership
Introduction: The Millennium Goals represent a global partnership for development. The deal makes clear that it is the primary responsibility of poor countries to work towards achieving the first seven Goals. They must do their part to ensure greater accountability to citizens and efficient use of resources. But for poor countries to achieve the first seven Goals, it is absolutely critical that rich countries deliver on their end of the bargain with more and more effective aid, more sustainable debt relief and fairer trade rules, well in advance of 2015.
- Develop further an open, rule-based, predictable, non-discriminatory trading and financial system. (Includes a commitment to good governance, development and poverty reduction – both nationally and internationally)
- Address the special needs of the least developed countries (Includes: tariff and quota free access for the least developed countries’ exports; enhanced programme of debt relief for heavily indebted poor countries (HIPC) and cancellation of official bilateral debt; and more generous ODA for countries committed to poverty reduction)
- Address the special needs of landlocked developing countries and small island developing States (through the Programme of Action for the Sustainable Development of Small Island Developing States and the outcome of the twenty-second special session of the General Assembly)
- Deal comprehensively with the debt problems of developing countries through national and international measures in order to make debt sustainable in the long term
- In cooperation with pharmaceutical companies, provide access to affordable essential drugs in developing countries.
- In cooperation with the private sector, make available the benefits of new technologies, especially information and communications.
- August 1, 2012Audio Gallery of MDG Success Stories From UNMC Spanish Campaign - The UN Millennium Campaign teams up with RNE – the Spanish National Radio Station- to talk the progress made towards the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals. Listen to the following five broadcasts aired at … Continue reading
- September 22, 2011Success Stories From Asia and the Pacific - With 5 years remaining until 2015, we are at the critical junction for achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Marking the 10th anniversary of the Millennium Declaration, heads of states will once again gather … Continue reading