United Nations Millennium Campaign in Africa aims at stimulating active citizens’ engagement with governments to enhance delivery of quality services for all in order to achieve the MDGs. UNMC Africa promotes citizen feedback initiatives such as utilizing a mobile phone platform dubbed ‘Huduma’ in Kenya, Mozambique, and Nigeria with plans for rolling it out in other countries. UNMC Africa also focuses on communication outreach; targeted policy platforms and capacity building activities.
UNMC Africa partners with governments and inter-governmental organizations; civil society organizations including those with mass memberships such as faith-based groups, youth organizations; women’s organisations; artistes; the media, farmers’ organizations; Parliamentary bodies, including the African Network of Parliamentarians for the MDGs, and local government associations and also leverage multi-agency initiatives and resources within the UN system. The campaign has staff presence in all regions of Africa, except North Africa.
- July 1, 2013Big Strides on Millennium Development Goals with More Targets Achievable by 2015: UN Report - With some of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) already met, more targets are within reach by the 2015 target date, while challenges to achieving others must be urgently addressed, according to a new report launched … Continue reading
- May 16, 2013‘MY World’ Survey – First Results – Over 600,000 Citizens Tell the United Nations their Priorities - Over 600,000 citizens from 194 countries have already voted for the issues that would make the most difference to their lives, providing, for the first time ever, real-time and real-world intelligence on what people think … Continue reading
- April 1, 2013April, 5th: 1,000 days to keep the Millennium Promise - A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, but starting this week we can march a thousand days forward into a new future. On April 5th, the world will reach a vital … Continue reading
- January 31, 2013Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) Outreach with High Level Panel Members in Monrovia - The voices of the voiceless were heard and Civil Society will make sure their recommendations are taken into account and effectively inform the High Level Panel report to be presented in April to the UN Secretary … Continue reading
- January 30, 2013Day Two of the CSO Pre-Consultative Forum Post 2015 High Level Panel Meeting - A successful second day of the CSO pre-consultative forum culminated in the presentation of five key statements to Her Excellency Ellen Johnson Sirleaf who attended the meeting at 4pm GMT. Five vulnerable group representatives addressed … Continue reading
- October 5, 2012Side Event on Multi-level Partnerships in MDGs Acceleration – Nigeria - Stream videos at Ustream On September 27th the UN Millennium Campaign, with the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, will be co-hosting a side event entitled: “Multi-Level Partnerships in MDGs Acceleration: Experiences from the … Continue reading
- August 12, 2012Conspiracy Against Pupils: Case Study of Kibera Primary School - Background Kibera Primary school was founded in 1953. The school has a population of 2193 pupils and 28 teachers. The first sponsors to the school were returning Sudanese soldiers who had fought in the first … Continue reading
- August 12, 2012The Anti-Counterfeit Court Case - The Kenyan constitution guarantees the right to a life, right to health care services, adequate housing, food, clean and safe water, education, and social security. Central to the constitution is devolution of resources which guarantees … Continue reading
- July 16, 2012UNMC and African CSOs Meet WIth Liberian President and Co-chair of Post-2015 High Level Panel Ellen Johnson Sirleaf - The Co-chair of the UN High-level panel on UN Post 2015 Development Framework, Her Excellency President Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia has said that the new global agenda will draw from the voices of the people. … Continue reading
- May 22, 2012We Have No Excuse For Africa To Fail - 150 African parliamentarians underline their strong commitment and key role in delivering the MDGs Parliamentarians have a key role to play in the future of Africa; looking at budgets, providing scrutiny and oversight of government … Continue reading
- May 21, 2012The African Network of Parliamentarians on the MDGs Meets in Addis Ababa Ethiopia - “Parliaments are key for ensuring the achievement of the MDGs in Africa. Where parliaments are active they make a huge difference to implementing the MDGs. Africa is proof.” – Charles Abugre, Africa Director of the … Continue reading
- January 19, 2012MDGs: United Struggle Towards National Realisation - Nigeria, 19 Jan 2012 – As the 2015 deadline year for realisation of the eight global Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) draws nearer, the House of Representatives Committee on the MDGs, the United Nations Millennium Campaign … Continue reading