The Millennium Campaign started its operation in the Asia-Pacific region in mid-2006. Currently, India and the Philippines are the two core programming countries, while we support the work of our civil society coalition partners in other partnership countries such as Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, and Indonesia. We work closely with national CSO coalitions, UN systems, media, parliamentarians, local governments, youth groups, faith-based organizations, and private sector.
Based on the UNMC global strategy, the major focus in the region is the Citizen Feedback Initiative (CFI) which is being piloted in India and the Philippines. The aim is to successfully complete the proof of concept and initiate policy advocacy actions based on the analysis of citizens’ feedback on service delivery, while exploring the possibility of further replication of the initiative beyond the initial pilot locations.
UNMC Asia also supports participatory consultation processes on MDG acceleration and the post-2015 development framework at the regional and national levels. Ongoing initiatives include: engaging parliamentarians and civil society organizations in sub-regional and regional discussions, a country research project on civil society perspectives on the MDG experiences and critical issues for the post-2015 agenda, and a civil society facilitated discussion on the issues of inequalities.
- February 2, 2015MY World featured in UNDP Report: Achieving Development Results in Asia and the Pacific - 26 January 2015 – UNDP has launched its Asia-Pacific Regional Report ‘Achieving Development Results in Asia and the Pacific’, highlighting a string of successful programmes implemented in 2013 and 2014, and also featuring MY World … Continue reading
- July 1, 2013Big Strides on Millennium Development Goals with More Targets Achievable by 2015: UN Report - With some of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) already met, more targets are within reach by the 2015 target date, while challenges to achieving others must be urgently addressed, according to a new report launched … Continue reading
- May 16, 2013‘MY World’ Survey – First Results – Over 600,000 Citizens Tell the United Nations their Priorities - Over 600,000 citizens from 194 countries have already voted for the issues that would make the most difference to their lives, providing, for the first time ever, real-time and real-world intelligence on what people think … Continue reading
- April 22, 2013Key Recommendations from the Asia Post-2015 Alternative Narratives Meeting - 23 – 24 March, 2013 Bali, Indonesia Representatives of civil society organizations, people’s movements, academics and researchers deliberating over two days to consider alternative narratives on development, propose the following analysis and recommendations for the … Continue reading
- April 1, 2013April, 5th: 1,000 days to keep the Millennium Promise - A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, but starting this week we can march a thousand days forward into a new future. On April 5th, the world will reach a vital … Continue reading
- December 10, 2012Parliamentarians from Asia deliberate on instruments of progress and equity for the Post-2015 agenda - Over sixty Parliamentarians from across countries such as Bhutan, Afghanistan, Turkey, Uzbegistan, India and Bangladesh are assembling along with Civil Society Organisations to review progress on Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and discuss a framework for … Continue reading
- December 7, 2012Inclusive India: Bridge the Development Divide - On the occasion of the death anniversary of the prestigious Indian jurist and political leader, Chairman of the Drafting Committee of Indian Constitution, Babasaheb B.R. Ambedkar; 20 men and women from Dalit and other excluded communities spoke about their struggles and successes in … Continue reading
- November 27, 2012Empowering citizens to achieve the MDGs: The Philippines’ top telecommunication companies unite to support Tingog 2015 - The Philippines’ top telecommunication companies unite to support Tingog 2015, an initiative that allows citizens to monitor social services through text messaging. The initiative is being piloted in Tabaco, Albay, the Philippines. (Manila, Philippines, November … Continue reading
- November 21, 2012Asia-Pacific Members of Parliament and civil society to focus on disparities as MDG deadline looms - Manila, The Philippines. — Active engagement of parliaments, civil society organizations (CSOs) and development partners remain at the heart of accelerated efforts to address disparities in achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) in 2015, … Continue reading
- August 12, 2012Tingog 2015: Citizens’ Feedback for Promoting Governance Accountability and Service Delivery in the Philippines - Why Citizens’ Feedback? Significant gains have been achieved on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), a set of eight time-bound goals on poverty, education, gender equality, health and environment. However, much more still needs to be … Continue reading
- August 12, 2012Empowering Citizens through Tingog - When Rosemarie Burac, a resident of Barangay Fatima, Tabaco, was pregnant with her 3rd child, she contracted a whooping cough. She was referred to the municipal hospital, but when she got there, the doctor was … Continue reading
- August 12, 2012Tingog, A Helping Hand to Barangay Health Workers - Cecilia Regondola, 58 years old, of Barangay Agnas, has been a barangay health worker (BHW) for almost thirty years. She is grateful to Tingog because of the concrete changes it has brought about to the … Continue reading
- August 6, 2012Samadhan Impact: Setting up a Primary School - 35-year-old Sibaram Bandhia lives in the Bandhia Guda village of Koraput District. The village has 56 households with a population of 267. About 43 are children in the age group of 6 to 14 years. … Continue reading
- August 6, 2012Samadhan Impact: Allotment of Financial Assistance under Housing Scheme – Indira Awas Yojna - 31-year-old Arath Takri lives happily with his wife, Sunita, in Tayaput village, Laxmipur Block of Koraput District. During the Palli Sabha (village meeting), his name was selected as one of the beneficiaries of the Indira … Continue reading
- August 6, 2012Samadhan: Citizen Voices for Accountable Governance and Service Delivery - Why SAMADHAN? There are less than four years left for the world to achieve the Millennium Development Goals – a series of ambitious commitments that countries made across the globe to reduce poverty, eliminate preventable … Continue reading
- May 19, 2012Payment of Wages Under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MNEREGA) - Koraput District – Orissa, India – Sadan Krishani a 29-year-old daily labourer lives with his wife and son in Chakarliguda village in Koraput, a tribal-populated remote district in the central Indian state of Orissa, where … Continue reading
- November 3, 2011Indians Use Cell Phones to Plug Holes in Governance - This article from the Washington Post describes an exciting new program being conducted in two Indian districts in which citizens can connect directly with government officials to report problems via cell phones. LONDHIYA, INDIA — … Continue reading
- September 22, 2011Success Stories From Asia and the Pacific - With 5 years remaining until 2015, we are at the critical junction for achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Marking the 10th anniversary of the Millennium Declaration, heads of states will once again gather … Continue reading